It says a lot that I have to refer to my own list of what we did yesterday to remember. I will flesh out the best parts and then go on to day 3 in the next post.
Laps-o-kittens
First off: the KITTENS. There are 4 of them, they are adorable, they fulfill my fuzzy animal needs (although there is still an Athena shaped hole in my heart (shout out to Mom and Dad who are taking care of Athena and doing an awesome job.....I call it Athena's summer camp).
Mama cat - loves us for our chicken scraps
Next: FERRIES. So far everyday we have taken the ferries from our side to the old city (Europe) and back. I LOVE this. I miss my ferries and these are about 10 min long, depart every 10-15 mintues and have stunning views of the city and hypnotically beautiful water.
Hopping on the ferry
HAGIA SOPHIA was awesome. It is so hard to convey its immensity via photo but luckily Sam took a video which shows how diminutive Elizabeth and I both looked. Other coolness: the spot where many Byzentine Emperors were crowned, all of the Christian things that were destroyed/covered up when it was converted to a Mosque (many of which have been uncovered/partially restored). Too cool.
The BAZAAR: You literally could shop forever here, once you are inside it looks like it never ends yet at any given moment you are only in a relatively small hallway with many different colorful shops and wares. Think hedge maze minus the hedges, plus tiny stores. That whole paragraph was basically a description fail but we will take more pics and post soon.
Sam says the bazaar is bizarre because I came out of there without buying anything. Haha.
The HAMMAM (Turkish Bath) was an awesome experience. Considering it is so hot here (Mid-high 80s) I was wary about going in somewhere hotter to steam and bathe but it actually felt great. We went in and split with Sam who was ballsy enough (haha) to head off to the Men's baths alone without speaking the language. After stripping down (bathing suit bottoms only -risque by American standards) and stashing our stuff we went into a big room with a domed ceiling with all of these pretty holes in it that let light in. then you essentially lay on a huge marble slab that is heated from beneath and sweat it out. Then a lady dumps water all over you and washes your whole body and hair. Follow up with a jacuzzi soak and sitting next to fountains and pouring bowls of cool water all over yourself (that part felt great). Overall pretty cool experience :)
Hammam. Like this but filled with naked women.
No comments:
Post a Comment