Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Random Musings


Although I should be updating you all on the ridiculous amazing-ness that was Cappadocia, I would rather spill some random thoughts I have been having about traveling here.

Things I miss about the US:

  • Free bathrooms. It costs $ to go to the bathroom most places here and they do not always have European toilets. Not a huge deal but it makes me appreciate the free, clean restrooms we have all over in America.
  • Ice. They don't really serve drinks with ice here and I am an ice and straw girl.
  • Iced tea - they serve it hot here. Even though it's like 90 degrees :(
  • ATHENA. Athena. Athena. Athena. I want to love on every dog I see here but due to their cleanliness issues I can't.....much. But the pup is enjoying summer camp with Grandma and Grandpa Hendricks and I get to see her in less then one week!!


Things I will miss when I leave Turkey:

  • The sister. If it's possible I think I forget how much I always miss her until I visit/she visits and then it's sort of a gut punch of sucky-ness that she lives so far away. Consolation: I get to visit her in amazing places like Turkey.
  • The hot tea. Yes I miss my iced tea, however I LOVE good black tea. And they make it my way here. They brew it super dark (but not burned - yes, you can burn tea) and pour 1/3 of the tea in your glass, then top it off with hot water. The glasses are also Emily sized, meaning adorably small (Sam's words), and they love it sweet and serve every mini glass with two sugar cubes.
  • The kittens. See previous blog posts.
  • Good, cheap, easy public transit. Really US? Get it together. I love that you use the same card here to pay for buses, subway, light rail, ferries, etc.
  • The food and the fact that it's EVERYWHERE. You can never be hungry here. Food on the streets, on the ferries, etc. I literally think you would be hard pressed in Istanbul to find somewhere you have to walk more then one block for food. And we have been taking advantage. Juice stands, ice cream (non-dairy flavors for me - score!), fresh string cheese from the markets, bread, nuts, fruit. Omg it's so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment